Monday, September 15, 2014

sick

Everyone else has started school so that means my family is getting sick.  Seriously, what is up with that?!  The kids were exposed to other kids that go to school (who weren't sick themselves) two times that I can think of and we're getting sick already.  I remember this happening last year at the beginning of the school year, too.  Ugh.  So, Levi came down with a cold first.  I'd say he, Mike, and I have had it the worst; Caleb and Logan haven't been too bad.  Levi was bad for a day, then seemed almost totally better the next, but the day after that it seemed to be bothering him again.  Friday night and Saturday night he didn't sleep well; I don't know if it was the cold, bad dreams, his attachment to me, or what.

Friday night Mike and I went to a wedding.  (Had a great time, by the way.  Our table was only Mike and I, Mike's brother Harold (Kara had to stay home with the kids), and their cousin Joe.  Our table was way in the corner and we were able to just enjoy hanging out.)  So anyways, when Mike and I got home close to 11pm, Levi was just crying and crying and the babysitter was trying to calm him down.  She said he was fine all evening, went to bed great, and it was just the last half hour or so that he had been crying.  It took quite a while for him to calm down, and I finally got him back to bed.  I had to get up once more during the night for him.  Saturday night Mike put him to bed because I was mowing the lawn.  He slept fine for a couple hours, then woke up crying and upset.  I was up with him for hours then.  If I stayed with him he wasn't crying, but he was very restless and would just not settle down.  I tried sitting in the chair in his room with him, laying on the floor in his room, sitting in the recliner downstairs, and bringing him to our bed (which I have NEVER done, but just didn't know what else to do!).  None of those went very well, but when I tried putting him back in his crib he just cried and cried.  What to do with a two-year-old who has slept through the night since he was about a month old and now won't??  Finally, after a few hours of restlessness, he did fall asleep in my lap in the chair, and I was able to put him to bed.  Last night I made sure that I was the one to put him to bed (just in case this is an attachment thing), and he has slept all night.  After he got up I asked him if he slept good and he stated, "I didn't have a bad dream."  Phew!

Yesterday morning Mike stayed home from church with the sickies, and I went to work in the nursery.  In the evening Mike had to usher and we decided Logan was well enough to go with him.  Mike loved having the one-on-one time with him!  It's so nice when we get a chance to do that, it can just be so hard to make it happen.  This guy is full of deep questions and wants to figure things out.  Mike told me that last night Logan asked him, "If a police car is going too fast will another police car stop him?"  Last week we had a good discussion with him about marriage.

We're getting very excited for our new puppy!  And, things have been going a little better with Pixie.  :)  Two more bedtimes until we bring Roxy home.  Last night Levi was upset that Logan got to go in the truck with Mike to church, so I reminded him that on Wednesday night he gets to go by himself with us to get Roxy while Caleb and Logan are at Gopher's.  He had no problem reminding Caleb of that later.  :)  The memory on this kid amazes me!  Awhile back I had a birthday card for my nephew sitting on our desk for way too long.  (He lives next door, you'd think I could get a birthday card to him!)  Once, Levi grabbed it and ripped the envelope.  Just a day or two ago I was talking to Mike about the garden and said something about ripping out whatever's left in there.  Levi heard me use the word "rip" and then said, "I ripped Jason's card."  That was a few weeks ago!  And, every once in a while he still brings up the accident we witnessed on our way home from West Virginia.  The other boys don't talk about it, but he does.  "That guy...upside down in his car...raining..."  Comments like that.

Love watching these kids observe, think, learn, and grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment