Wednesday, May 31, 2017

growth spurt?

We're only a few days into summer break, but the non-school schedule sure seems to agree with Jackson.  He's been sleeping a ton!  Maybe a growth spurt?  It's been wonderful letting him sleep as long as he needs to.  The last couple mornings I've gotten him out of bed at 9am - he was awake (not sure for how long) but just happy laying in bed, yesterday afternoon he took a 4 hour nap, and so far today he's at 3.5 hours and still going strong.  I can hardly believe this is my baby that would only nap for 30 minutes at a time for a good portion of his first year.  Maybe he's finally catching up on his sleep now...

So last week I got a call again on Tuesday about Logan having a headache.  I wasn't home, so I headed home to get Tylenol then went back to school.  I could tell it wasn't as bad as the day before, so just gave him the medicine and had him stay at school.  I was starting to get worried that maybe we were dealing with a bigger issue (anxiety? migraines? eyesight?), but he's been fine since now, so it must have just been a bug.  I am going to keep an eye on him because of his tonsils, though - one side is swollen a lot, he seems to almost always be congested, and Caleb says that he snores (I'm going to have to do some fact-checking one of these nights.).

On Wednesday I helped with Field Day at school and it was so much fun!  I love getting to know all the kids better and call them by name.  Our boys will likely be with a lot of those kids until they graduate, and I'm sure that's going to come way too fast!  Jackson came with me and did just fine in his stroller.  Phew.  Levi's team was at my station right away, and I tried to help him through some shyness when it was his turn.  When I saw him later he seemed to be getting along fine.  His teacher said there was one issue when there was a false start on the race, but they worked through it.  :)  Caleb and Logan sure seemed to be having fun.

That evening I was finally able to make the drive down to Kalamazoo to visit my college friend, Jen, at meet her new baby, Scarlett!  What a doll.  I miss my boys being small like that, but I don't want any more of my own.  ;)

Thursday was the last day of school.  I got Jackson settled to nap for the afternoon at my parent's so that I could take Levi on his field trip to Playworld.  Of course he was a little shy at first, but once he got playing he was fine.  Caleb and Logan cleaned out their desks, and it shouldn't be surprising that Caleb came home with a ton of crayons/markers/pencils/pens just dumped in a garbage bag.  I finally sorted through it yesterday.

Friday was a fun day as we ran a few errands, including stopping in at Byron Center Meats so we were able to do a little bit of the Kent Trail, and then we went to Mike's work for a cookout at lunchtime.  And then he was done for the day - woo hoo!!

Saturday was our first visit to the cottage for the season, and it was a gorgeous day!  Jackson did pretty well - he took a good nap for one thing, which is total opposite from last summer.  He played pretty nice in the sand.  I'm probably most worried about how he wanders without fear, and that he thinks he's better at steps than he really is.  The water was a little chilly, but not terrible, and the other kids played quite a bit in it.

Monday we attended the Memorial Day parade in Jenison, and again had very nice weather.  Jackson was NOT a happy camper.  For about 30 seconds he did nice sitting on the side of the road, but then he wanted to just take off and run down the road with the parade and was very mad when we grabbed him.  Mike and I took a couple turns walking him in his stroller to pass the time.  Of course the other boys had a blast collecting candy.

Funny conversation from yesterday:  Somehow we got talking about football (clearly not my thing) and Logan asked what you were supposed to do for the game.  I said something like you're trying to get to your end zone with the ball, but the other guys can do whatever they want to stop you.  Logan: "Does it hurt?"  Me: "Yeah, some people get hurt real bad." Logan: "Then why do they want to play?"  Good question, son, good question...  :)

Had a great discussion with the boys over lunch today regarding God defeating Satan, how to go to Heaven, etc.  I feel so inadequate to answer their questions!  Love to see that they are thinking and using their brains.  I try to play it cool, but on the inside I'm kinda freaking out and praying for the right words.

I almost forgot!  Last week I won a book on the radio!  I heard the announcer say something about a book "A Mom's Prayers for Her Son" and calling in to win.  So I called, he answered, and I won!  We talked for a few minutes, and I was so nervous the whole time thinking the conversation might end up on the radio.  He said something about "Elizabeth from West Michigan" winning the book, but that was it.  The next morning I had the radio on again, wasn't listening all that close and I heard someone say something about having four sons, and I think, "Cool!  Just like me!  I'd better listen up."  Then, a couple more seconds and I realize it was ME talking.  Didn't even recognize my own voice on the radio.  So, my conversation did end up getting played, and I was able to record some of it on my phone, even though I'm not a huge fan of how my voice sounds.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment